Login NowClose 
Sign In to ftimes.com           
Forgot Password
or if you have not registered since 8/22/18
Click Here to Create an Account
Close

Construction to begin on Washington Ave.

ROAD WORK: Phase One of the reconstruction of Washington Avenue from Williams Street to Hoke Avenue is set to begin. AARON KENNEDY/akennedy@ftimes.com

Times staff - news@ftimes.com

After months of planning and preparation, the City of Frankfort, Indiana Department of Transportation, American Structurepoint and Atlas Excavating are preparing to start the Phase 1 reconstruction of Washington Avenue from Williams Street to Hoke Avenue.

With the aid of a Federal Highway Administration grant this $3,714,485.00 project will be 80 percent covered by the federal government with the City of Frankfort providing the remaining 20 percent of funds.

“This project is significant because it continues our aggressive role in rebuilding our city’s transportation infrastructure,” Mayor Chris McBarnes said. “Washington Avenue will be rebuilt and has been designed not only for those driving but those but those who want to walk, run or bicycle as well. This will be the first roadway project in our city which will boast a multipurpose path otherwise known as a trail. This project will work to connect the North and South Maish Road projects to the TPA Park and downtown Frankfort.”

Atlas Excavating has been awarded the role of primary contractor. Construction activities will start with the installation of new water lines. All utility lines underneath the roadway will be replaced as part of this project. Also, the eastern rail crossing on Washington Avenue will be removed as part of the rebuild. Vehicular traffic will be restricted to local use only. Through traffic, including large vehicles, will be directed to utilize the posted detour route. This project is scheduled to be completed by the Fall of 2019.

“Businesses along this heavily traveled route will remain open and accessible throughout the project,” Frankfort Street Department Superintendent Jason Forsythe said. “Specifically, Milky Way will be accessible through Burlington Avenue and Galvin’s Auto Sales will be accessible through Young Street. Wampler’s Disposal Service will be accessible from the east end of Washington Avenue. All other businesses will be accessible through adjacent streets just as the previous three mentioned. Please be mindful of safety during this time of construction and allow yourself additional time to reach your destination.”

American Structurepoint will provide on-site supervision and administration for the City of Frankfort and INDOT. A field office will be set up in the front office at the City Light and Power IT Building at 1000 Washington Avenue.

To help keep residents and those others affected by upcoming construction activities and road closures updated, a project-specific website has been created. Go to the City of Frankfort webpage, www.frankfort-in.gov., then click on the link washingtonavefrankfort.com underneath the Street Department tab. Please check the website link for all additional project information.