Login NowClose 
Sign In to ftimes.com           
Forgot Password
or if you have not registered since 8/22/18
Click Here to Create an Account
Close

Gas leak temporarily closes YMCA

By AARON KENNEDY - akennedy@ftimes.com

The Clinton County Family YMCA experienced a temporary closure after a gas leak was detected Monday morning inside the facility at 950 S. Maish Road in Frankfort.

At approximately 6:30 a.m., an hour-and-a-half after the YMCA opened its doors to the public, the scent of gas was detected by staff at the front desk.

“At that time, they notified (operations director) Cindy (Beebe), and she called in some of our technicians, Vectren and Airsource, that we rely on,” Clinton County Family YMCA chief executive officer Tristen Comegys said. “They determined that one of our HVAC units was emitting gas. So, we went ahead and shut down the gas, and they ran some tests.”

According to Comegys, technicians found that a coil had come loose in one of the HVAC units due to “normal vibration” within the unit. Once repairs were made and all HVAC units were inspected, the YMCA was able to reopen at 9:30 a.m.

Some morning fitness classes had to be canceled, and the YMCA's child care services were moved next door to Grace Baptist Church at 900 S. Maish Road until repairs were made, at which time they returned to the YMCA.

“Our hot water and our heat was off, so our kids for child care had to be at Grace Baptist until we could get hot water again,” Comegys said. “I think the staff handled things really well, especially in our child care department. Thanks to Grace Baptist Church, we were able to relocate kids next door, and our staff rallied and made sure all our kids were taken care of. Cindy and I remained at the YMCA to make sure our members were safe and made aware of the situation. We had two incredible vendors, Vectren Emergency Services and Air Source, respond right away.”