Login NowClose 
Sign In to ftimes.com           
Forgot Password
or if you have not registered since 8/22/18
Click Here to Create an Account

3 injured in crash, 1 electrocuted

1 / 2
ACCIDENT: Three people were seriously injured in a two-car accident at the intersection of Ind. 75 and Co. Road 500 N., and a fourth was electrocuted by downed power lines while approaching the scene Friday morning.
2 / 2
WRECK:First responders from the Frankfort Fire Department were the first to arrive on the scene of a collison at Ind. 75 and Co. Road 500 N. in Clinton County.

By AARON KENNEDY - akennedy@ftimes.com

Three people were airlifted to Indianapolis for treatment and another was sent to a local hospital after a two-car collision Friday at the intersection of Ind. 75 and Co. Road 500 N.

Just before 10 a.m., the Frankfort Fire Department and the Clinton County Sheriff’s Office responded to a report of a two vehicle personal injury accident. When they arrived on the scene, they found three people who sustained injuries from the crash.

“Engine 3 and Engine 2 responded on the scene along with Battalion 1,” said FFD Assistant Chief Ed Cripe. “When engine 3 arrived it reported a two vehicle crash into the pole with power lines down. A volunteer was the first and said there was entrapment, and we immediately started extraction.”

While first responders attended to the occupants of the vehicles, a male co-worker of one of the crash victims arrived at the scene and approached the vehicles. The man was electrocuted while attempting to cross over a live power line that was downed near the vehicles. That man was among three who were airlifted for treatment.

“All of the responders did a great job out there,” said Cripe. “The Frankfort Fire Department, Clinton County EMS, the Clinton County Sheriff’s Office and Rossville Town Marshall Travis Hall were there. Hall was called in from the opposite direction to keep vehicles from that direction from coming in.”

The identities and conditions of all four victims were not available as of press time Friday afternoon.

 Power company crews remained in the area to repair damage from the accident and restore power.